GEOfood and Sustainability
Geofood and UNESCO Global Geoparks actively participate in solving global problems though education, culture, engagement of local communities, woman empowerment and innovative strategies.
Photo: Þórir N. Kjartansson
WHAT IS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT?
Sustainable development aims at safeguarding opportunities for a good life to the current and future generations. This requires that the environment, people and the economy are equally taken into account in decision-making and activities.
The concept of sustainable development emerged as a result of the work of the UN Brundtland Commission in 1987. Since then, sustainable development policy has developed into increasingly comprehensive and diverse practices. Sustainable development is a way to do things more sensibly and fairly for all.
Learn more about sustainable development definition
GEOPARKS AS PIONEERS OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
The UNESCO Geoparks are probably the only territories in the world to cover almost all of the sustainable development goals adopted by the United Nations in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030.
Obviously the Geoparks missions relate to the conservation of the geological heritage as well as the conservation of the other heritages present in the territory. Geoparks relate to education and of course research: one of the main missions is, from heritage promotion, to develop integrated sustainable development policies. These sustainable development strategies cannot exist without actions on poverty reduction, gender equality, population involvement.
The UNITED NATION SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals aim to eradicate poverty and improve people’s living conditions and opportunities for a good life while protecting our planet. In 2015, UN member states agreed on these goals and Agenda 2030 for the next 15 years.
There are 17 UN sustainable development goals which have a total of 169 sub-goals. Some of the goals focus on the environment, some on society and some on the economy. The Sustainable Development Goals are binding for all states, and their implementation and effectiveness are monitored. The UN has declared the current decade the Decade of Action, which aims to accelerate the achievement of the goals by 2030.
Learn more about the AGENDA 2030
GEOfood´S CONTRIBUTION TO A SUSTAINABLE PLANET
GEOfood support sustainable development: the GEOfood brand can be used only by companies which can prove certain environmental standards: Promotion of biodiversity and the improvement of soil quality.
✔ We are implementing sustainable farming practices that are non-invasive from a chemical and pharmaceutical point of view.
✔ We are working for supporting Geopark’s producers, farmers, entrepreneurs to preserve traditions and increase their local scale economy.
✔We are supporting the use of local food.
✔ We are looking for new projects opportunity to support the communities.
You are welcome to explore UNESCO Global Geoparks in a responsible and safe manner. Here are some tips for being a responsible visitor!
Calculate and offset your Emissions!
Shape our future
Calculate and offset your emissions investing small amount on certified projects , CO₂ offsetting only has an impact when compensation payments are actually directed straight to climate protection projects. As a non-profit foundation, myclimate guarantees that at least 80 percent of offsetting payments will be used directly in climate protection projects. The remaining maximum 20 percent is needed by the foundation to cover administration and internal costs.
Find out more here https://www.myclimate.org.
Plan your visit by low emission transportation
Reduce CO2 emissions
- Arrive by train or choose one of the bus connections to the Geopark.
- If it is not possible, we know it is not always easy, please choose a public transport or bike to move around in the Geopark once you are there.
- You can cycle around the Geopark area using the bike trail network, and very often there are also places where you can rent bicycles.
- You can share and rent a eletric car ince you are in the Geopark, checking for charging points.
- Aks help to the Geopark staff for the best sustainable solution.